Every celebrity and beauty guru out there will tell you to drink water for healthy skin. We all know how water affects our overall health. Experts and doctors across the board will suggest you to drink at least 8 glasses of water for the well-being of your body. Many people believe that drinking water helps them get clear and glowing skin. Does drinking water really have an impact on our skin? Is it just a myth? Although extreme dehydration can adversely affect your skin by making the skin look dull and may cause loss of skin elasticity. However, generally drinking a glass or two less will not impact your skin. The lack of hydration in your body may not immediately show on your skin.
The actual benefit of drinking water
There isn’t enough evidence showing that water consumption directly affects our skin health. Contrary to the popular belief, drinking adequate water, in fact, improves our cell hydration more than skin hydration. Having said that, drinking a good amount of water daily is imperative for the proper functioning of our bodies.
Here’s why you should drink water:
1. Drinking water helps in regulating body temperature, especially in summers.
2. It helps in keeping the body hydrated and lubricates the joints for ease of movement.
3. It protects the spinal cord and other sensitive tissues in our body.
4. It removes waste from the body through urination, perspiration, and bowel movements.
5. Our body needs more water especially during:
A. Hot weather
C. A fever
D. Diarrhoea or vomiting
How much water to consume to stay hydrated?
A key to keeping your body hydrated is to consider your body weight. A general rule for drinking water is to drink half an ounce of water or an ounce of water daily against each pound. However, a study tells us that about 3.7 litres of fluid a day for men and 2.7 litres per day for women is enough to keep the body well hydrated.
With that in mind, let’s look at some ways to increase our fluids consumption on a daily basis.
Increase your water intake:
- Add fresh fruits and vegetables to your water to enhance the flavour of your regular water. A RO water purifier system provides you with purified water with added minerals and enhanced taste. Purified water is great for making a number of tasty drinks to amp up the hydration level.
- Make a routine. You can set an alarm for yourself or sip some water every hour. Follow a routine that suits you the best and make sure to have enough water.
- Eat fruits and vegetables with high water content. Watermelon, cucumber, celery, oranges, melons, etc contain high levels of water in them. Snack on these fruits and veggies to stay healthy and hydrated.
- Carry a water bottle to have a healthy dose of water at all times. Keep a bottle with you and fill it up from time to time. This is a great way to sip water throughout the day.
- Have juices and other water-based drinks to replenish your body. Coconut water, fruit & vegetable smoothies, electrolytes, etc are also great for you.
Does drinking water make your skin glow? The answer is NO. But water is irreplaceable for the well-being of our bodies. Drinking adequate water help prevent dehydration, ensures clarity of mind, prevents body heat, and facilitates digestion as well. Do not make the mistake of skipping the right amount of fluids essential for your body. Drink purified water with added minerals to stay healthy, hydrated, and energetic all day long.
The Benefits of Drinking Water for Skin, According to Derms, April 07, 2022, Byrdie
Water and Healthier Drinks, June 6, 2022, CDC
Water: How much should you drink every day?, Oct. 14, 2020, Mayoclinic
Tips for drinking more water, July 12, 2021, Mayoclinic