We, as Indians, are quite familiar with the burning sensation in our chest. This sensation is called acid reflux or is commonly dubbed “acidity,” which is caused when the muscles in the lower end of the esophagus are relaxed at the wrong time allowing the stomach acid to travel back up in the esophagus. Acidity is a very common problem among Indians as our diet includes lots of spicy and oily foods. It is also influenced by the type of water that you drink.
What causes acidity?
Acidity can be caused by various things, for instance, it can be easily triggered by certain foods or certain beverages, for example, oily, spicy, and fried foods, carbonated drinks, tea, alcohol, etc. Apart from unhealthy, irregular eating and drinking habits, acidity can be caused by a lack of physical activities, disturbed sleep schedule, stress and anxiety, obesity, resting or lying down right after a meal, etc.
If the occurrences of acid reflux are frequent and go untreated, they can lead to serious health problems like stomach ulcers, gastric disorders, and oesophagitis. Consuming healthy food and healthy water every day has a great impact on your life.
What are the symptoms of acidity?
One of the most common symptoms of acidity is heartburn which, if mild, lasts up to an hour or two. Another symptom is trouble with swallowing food because there is a feeling of a lump in the throat. People also complain about their mouths turning sour as the stomach fluid may have reached the back of the throat and not having an appetite to eat or being unable to taste what they have eaten.
What are gastric problems?
Gastric problems are vaguely similar to acidity problems but are more or less related to the stomach alone. Gastric problems or “gastritis” is the painful inflammation felt in the stomach and are often caused when the gas that is naturally present in your body gets trapped. If the problem gets severe, consulting a doctor to get a proper diagnosis is advised.
What are the causes and symptoms of gastritis?
Acidity is one of the main causes of gastritis, the factors that cause acidity are the same factors that cause gastritis too. So, in a way, they are both related to each other. The symptoms of gastritis are constant burping, frequent abdominal pains, hiccups, indigestion, etc.
Gastric problems and acidity could be worrisome problems if neglected and not treated on time with the right diagnosis.
There are certain remedies that you can easily try at home so you could reduce the uneasiness. These remedies could be done with things that are easily available at everyone’s home.
Here are 3 easy home remedies for acidity and gastric problems:
1. Soothing beverages to calm your stomach: Some beverages are responsible for acidity and gastric problems but some beverages can cure the discomfort caused by them. These healthy beverages are an effective way of living a healthy lifestyle.
- Lemon juice: Drinking lemon juice or using lemons in tea is a miraculous remedy that gives instant relief from gastric problems and acidity. Squeeze a lemon in a glass of water, add some sugar as per your taste, a pinch of black salt, and a pinch of cumin powder, and tada! Your drink to improve digestion and ease your heartburn is ready. Drinking lemon juice every day is also advisable.
- Buttermilk: This is an age-old home remedy that our previous generations have passed down to us. Drinking buttermilk soothes the stomach, relieves the bloated stomach, and prevents indigestion. Adding a pinch of black salt will enhance its taste. Many people include a glass of buttermilk in their everyday diet.
- Cold milk: Chilled cold milk is known to neutralize acid reflux and prevents heart burns. It is fat-free and is thus easily digested by lactose-intolerant people. It is one of the most sought-after remedies for acidity.
2. Baking soda: It is also known as sodium bicarbonate and is an effective, safe, and non-toxic remedy for acidity and gastric problems. Just half a teaspoon of baking soda can cure indigestion, and bloating, preventing gas build-up and heartburn. You can either mix it with lemon juice or you can add half a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of warm water.
3. Powders to make peace with: Certain seeds can instantly relieve your stomach problems. For instance-
- Fennel seeds (sounf), which we are familiar with, should be roasted and made into powder and consumed either dry or with some alkaline water purifier.
- Cumin seeds (jeera), which we use in our food every day can be powdered and consumed the same way as fennel seeds.
- Chia seeds are known to solidify the stools and thus prevent constipation.
These powders of seeds can be consumed with filtered healthy water. There are a variety of water purifiers among which Copper water purifier is an excellent type of water purifier in India. The price of a Livpure water purifier in India is pocket-friendly.
How does copper work as a remedy for acidity?
Storing water in a copper vessel or drinking from a copper glass has multiple health benefits. It improves blood circulation ultimately preventing heart diseases. Using a copper water purifier also makes digestion better. Drinking water from a copper vessel is an ancient medicinal practice as it comes with anti-microbial properties that help to eliminate diseases. Copper water purifier delivers healthy water for gastric problems.
Apart from the remedies given above, drinking an ample amount of mineral water alone can solve gastritis and acidity. Only, make sure the water that you consume should be filtered and safe for drinking. If not, it could very well be the reason for your acidity and gastric problems. Healthy water and healthy food are the key elements of a healthy lifestyle.
Livpure brings you a wide range of water purifiers that have been known to deliver mineralized and good-quality water. You could check them out on their online store website or Amazon or Flipkart and book a free consultation through the number provided on the website. You can also drop a mail on their official email ID. If you are on a water purifier hunt, Livpure is the stop you are looking for as Livpure water purifier is India’s best water purifier.